- 5 minutes, if you have a Mac with Monterey macOS (12.5)
- 30-60 minutes, if you need to install macOS updates
Hint: OS stands for Operating System
Your computer, iPhone and Xcode must have compatible versions to build Loop.
- A summary list of Compatible Versions is found on this page with more detail in a later page
If you are buying a Mac, chose one with Monterey (or newer) operating system and at least 256 GB (512 GB is better).
- "Can I use a PC or Windows computer? I don't own an Apple computer." Yes, you can. Please read this FAQ about using a Virtual Machine.
- "Can I borrow someone else's Apple computer?" Please see this FAQ about Borrowing a Computer.
- "How often do I need to use the computer?" Computer access is required when
- Initially installing the Loop app
- Loop app expires (Annually for a paid account or weekly for a free account)
- Updating to a newer Loop release
- You do NOT need access to an Apple computer to update your phone iOS, troubleshoot or change Loop settings
If you have access to a computer with MacOS 12.5 or newer, you can skip ahead to Check Space Available.
The minimum macOS depends on the iOS of your iPhone/iPod. Monterey is required to build on any iPhone with an iOS version starting with iOS 15.4 and can be used to build Loop for any of the phone iOS versions listed below. Higher values of iOS might trigger the need for an update to macOS or Xcode.
The Loop and Learn Version Updates page posts an update every time a new iOS is released and tested. That page is typically updated faster than LoopDocs and reports changes, if any, to the minimum Xcode or macOS.
- iOS 16 or newer, the minimum macOS is Monterey (12.5)
- iOS 15.4 or newer, the minimum macOS is Monterey (12.0)
- iOS 15 - 15.3.1, the minimum macOS is Big Sur (11.3)
- iOS 14.5, the minimum macOS is Big Sur (11.0)
If your macOS does not meet the minimum, check to see if you can update your macOS
If you are an existing Looper with an older macOS, please click to Read the Warning before you update your phone to iOS 15.
iOS Dictates Your Computer Needs
The more up-to-date you keep your phone iOS, the more up-to-date your computer and macOS needs to be to build Loop. A new build is required at least once a year. More information on iOS is in Download Xcode.
Do not use any of the beta macOS versions. (If you don't know what that means, you aren't using one.)
Check Your macOS Version¶
To find your macOS version, click on the Apple icon in the computer's upper left corner and select
About this Mac. The graphic below highlights the macOS version with a red rectangle. Your computer can be a MacBook, iMac, macMini, etc... if it has the minimum required macOS version and enough storage.
If you do not have the required minimum macOS version, check the
Software Update button on that screen to see if you can update.
Apple says upgrading to macOS Monterey requires 26 GB of available storage.
Check the Space Available¶
You need to have 50 GB free space in order to install Xcode in Download Xcode. At the top of the menu on the graphic above, click on the Storage Tab highlighted with a red rectangle.
To free up space, move things like photos to an external drive. The Xcode application cannot be run from an external drive.
If you are evaluating a used computer, it's best to have at least 256 GB total disk space (more is better).
Which Macs Are Compatible with macOS Monterey?¶
Monterey is the best operating system for building Loop. You can install Monterey on the following:
- MacBook, early 2016 or newer
- MacBook Air, early 2015 or newer
- MacBook Pro, early 2015 or newer
- Mac Pro, late 2013 or newer
- Mac Mini, late 2014 or newer
- iMac, 2015 or newer
- iMac Pro, 2017 or newer
- get the full list from Apple for Monterey
New Apple Computers¶
Many new Apple computers use the M1 or M2 Apple Silicon chips, instead of Intel chips. When the M1 first came out, you had to install Rosetta to allow apps written for Intel chips to run on these newer computers. It is very unlikely that you will be asked to install Rosetta, but if you are, accept the suggestion. Click on this link for more information from Apple about Rosetta.
Older Operating System Warning¶
Check before Upgrading iPhone
If you built Loop with Catalina:
- DO NOT UPGRADE your phone to iOS 15
- FIRST upgrade to at least Xcode 13, build the app on your phone
- THEN upgrade to iOS 15
- Otherwise you will get the dreaded "Loop" is no longer available and need to rush through the updating Loop steps
If this happens to you, your pod will continue delivering basal, but you will not be able to bolus.
Next Step: Compatible iPhone/iPod Touch¶
Now you are ready to check if you have a Compatible iPhone/iPod touch.