Make Plans for your Loop Data¶
- Apple Health: 0 minutes, already a part of your system
- Tidepool: 30 minutes to set up an account and add Tidepool Mobile to your phone
- 1-2 hours to build it yourself if you've never done it before
- 1 hour to choose and sign up for a service if you want to pay someone
- Review the three major systems that can store and show your Loop data.
- Set up either Tidepool or Nightscout prior to your next endo appointment to provide Looping data to review.
- Do I have to set one of these up? Apple Health is already built into your iPhone and used by Loop, so there's no setup involved.
- Do I need all three? No, you can choose what suits you best. You can add a data system later.
- Why do I need any of these? With Loop use, your PDM (Omnipod) is not used or your pump (Medtronic) does not have sufficient memory for all the Loop commands. Your endo will have nothing to download at your next visit. You need to provide them with the information.
- Is it worth the time to setup Nightscout? I feel like I'm already doing so much outside my comfort zone. Yes. Loopers find it is definitely worth the time investment. Nightscout provides essential data for evaluating settings and useful alarms and alerts. Some Facebook help sites require Nightscout data to diagnose and suggest steps to address problems. There are fee-based services that will set up Nightscout for you, if you don't want to build it yourself.
- Apple Health app
- Great resource to view on the Loop phone
- Not so great for showing your endo
- Some endo offices will use your Tidepool website when you provide them with an invitation
- Many users of the mobile app like the note taking ability
- The mobile app also uploads Apple HealthKit data to Tidepool
All of the options are free and straightforward to setup. (There are paid options for configuring Nightscout; links to those providers are found along with the DIY steps in the Nightscout docs.) Take some time to familiarize yourself with these options and setup your preferred system(s). Many Loopers use all three for various aspects.
Nightscout is the most useful day-to-day for some of its capabilities such as plotting IOB and providing a secure, real-time Dashboard of Loop status visible to anyone with access codes and the internet.
Next Step: Meet the Community¶
Now you are ready to Meet the Community.