Step 2: Compatible iPhone or iPod touch⌁
- 5 minutes, if already have iOS 12.2 or newer
- 20 minutes, if need to update your compatible device to iOS 12.2 or newer
- 10 minutes, if you need to order a device from Apple website
- 0 minutes, if you own an Android and won't buy Apple products...that's fine, too.
- Check your iOS version and make sure you have 12.2 minimum.
- Do not use any of the beta iOS versions. (Don't worry...if you don't know what that means, then you aren't using one.)
- If using Dexcom CGM, your Looping iPhone/iPod touch will need the Dexcom app installed on it in order to Loop without an internet connection.
- "Can I use an android?" No.
- "But why not?" Because Loop is written in Apple's Swift language, which does not compile onto Android operating systems.
- "Can I use an iPad?" No. iPads do not support Apple Health and that is an important part of Loop's inner workings.
- "Does my iPhone need cell plan?" No. Loop will work without an internet connection...however you will not have Dexcom Follow data or Nightscout data if you choose to use a device that doesn't have an internet connection. In other words Loop will work, but remotely watching followers won't see Looping data unless the Loop device has an internet connection.
Loop is compatible with iPhone and iPod touch devices that can run iOS 12.2 or newer. Therefore, compatible devices include:
iPhone X, XS, XR, XS Max
iPhone 8, 8+
iPhone 7, 7+
iPhone 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+
iPod Touch, 6th generation or newer
iOS 13 update⌁
On September 19, 2019, iOS 13 will be released. The iPhone 5s, 6, 6+ models will not be able to update to iOS 13. This does not pose a problem currently. You can still build Loop. HOWEVER, there are upcoming Loop changes that will require users to have iOS 13 on their devices. There is no timeframe for when these Loop changes will be coming, but just be aware that we do anticipate all Loopers will need to be using iOS 13 in the future if they want the new versions of Loop.
Until then, you can use iOS 12.2 (or newer through iOS 13) without issue. Updating to iOS 13 is optional as far as Loop is concerned. Your Loop app on your phone will continue to run fine if you choose to update to iOS 13. It will also continue to run fine if you do not update to iOS 13.
Your phone's iOS version can be found under the Settings app, General, About as shown below.
Next Step: Compatible Pump⌁
Now you are ready to move onto Step 3 to check if you have a Compatible pump.