New Nightscout Users¶
Nightscout is not required, but is recommended for Loop
- A Nightscout site provides a dashboard for remote viewing of Loop actions including the temporary basal rates Loop is setting, the current insulin on board, or a recent bolus and carb entry
- A Nightscout site provides reports for retrospective review of your settings
- You will want a Nightscout site:
- If you are a parent of a little Loop user
- If you want to see Loop's actions anywhere other than the Looper's iPhone
- If you want to ask a mentor for help adjusting your settings
- If you want to prepare reports to evaluate your own settings
- If you want to prepare reports to hand to your doctor
Please visit the Nightscout documentation to read about Nightscout. There are several options, mentioned in that documentation, for setting up your Nightscout site.
- You can choose the free (except for your time) DIY method
- You can choose the DIY method where you pay a monthly fee for data storage
- You can choose a managed site (for a monthly fee) that creates your site, keeps the software up to date and provides data storage
Once your Nightscout site is operational and you've read the information about using your site, return to LoopDocs to update your configuration to Add Loop Variables to Nightscout.
The free DIY method provides sufficient storage for a single Loop user, but will require you to delete older data after a year or two of use.
If there are multiple Loopers in your family and you want to stay in the "free" tier, each will need their own site to stay under the monthly usage limitations.
Add Loop Variables to Nightscout¶
There are a few Loop-specific variables you should configure to get the most out of your Nightscout site. Follow the instructions to retrofit an existing Nightscout site.
Add Nightscout to Loop¶
Once you finish setting up your new Nightscout site, don't forget to enter your website URL and API_SECRET into your Loop settings! This way Loop will have access to your Nightscout site to upload all the wonderful data.
If your Nightscout site is not showing CGM (and Loop, if you are Looping) data within about 10 minutes of finishing your setup, then please follow these steps here to troubleshoot.