Two Ways to Build the App¶
With the release of Loop 3 , there are two ways to build the app.
- If you have never built Loop before, we recommend you use the Build with Browser method.
- If you use a Mac and keep the operating system up to date all the time, then you may prefer the Mac-Xcode method.
The Build Steps have been split into two tabs:
- Build with Browser
- Build with a browser on any computer or tablet
- App is installed on the phone using TestFlight
- Build with Mac-Xcode
- App is built on a Mac with Xcode connected to the phone
- The operating system on the Mac and the version of Xcode must be kept up-to-date
There are some requirements common to both methods. Some requirements are specific to only one method.
These requirements are independent of how you build the Loop app:
- Compatible iPhone
- Compatible Pump
- Compatible CGM
- RileyLink Compatible Device (not needed for Omnipod DASH)
- Apple Developer Membership
- For Browser Build - must be a paid developer account
- If building for a child, be sure to read Loopers Need Their Own Apple ID
Added Requirements to Build with Browser¶
If you plan to build using the Build with Browser instructions, you also need:
- A free GitHub account
Detailed instructions are included in the link above.
Added Requirements to Build with Mac-Xcode¶
If you plan to build using the Mac-Xcode Build instructions, you also need:
Getting Ready to Build¶
Go through the Common Requirements to see what you need to actually Loop.
If you want to test the Loop app without attaching CGM or pump hardware, you can run a simulated CGM or simulated pump. You can use actual CGM data using Dexcom Share or Nightscout as a Remote CGM.
These simulators are part of the Loop app and are available with either build method you choose.
Check out the Simulator page.
Once you have chosen your Build Method, go through the pages for that build method several times before beginning, especially if this is new to you.
When you are ready to proceed, work through the tasks on each page. Take your time. You can do one a day, take a week per page or blaze through them quickly. Just be sure to read carefully and if you are confused - reach out for help: How to Find Help.
Review the Common Requirements¶
Before you start either build method, review the Common Requirements. First one is Compatible iPhone. On each page, keep clicking Next (or n) until you've finished with the Intro pages and are ready to Build.
Build with Browser¶
Click on the link if you are done reviewing the common requirements and you want to skip ahead to Build with Browser.
Build with Mac-Xcode¶
Click on the link if you are done reviewing the common requirements and you want to skip ahead to Build with Mac-Xcode.